LCC Worker Benefit Plans

Home | Contact Us | Site Map

Serving Those Who Serve
Link to Forms Link to Pension Link to Benefits Link to Links Link to FAQs Link to Resources
Picture of a palm tree
Arrow Who is Covered?
Arrow Emergency Travel Brochure
Arrow Manulife Card

Health | Vision | Dental | Travel Insurance | Death Benefit

Travel Insurance

Do I Have Travel Insurance?

Retired Members with Extended Health Care Coverage

No one wants to be away from home and have a medical emergency. Yet emergencies can happen anywhere. If you are a Retiree with Extended Health Care (EHC) coverage, not only do you have day to day coverage at home but you are covered for reasonable and customary hospital and physician expenses, for medically necessary, emergency treatment required outside your home province and above the benefits payable by your Provincial Medicare plan. Coverage is limited to a medical emergency arising during the first 31 days outside your province of residence and is subject to the $50,000 lifetime maximum for all covered expenses under the EHC (both at home and while travelling). Your exact coverage while you travel will depend on how much you have utilized of your $50,000 lifetime EHC plan maximum. The costs paid for drugs and other medical services and supplies reduce the amount of coverage available for emergency travel claims. Check with Manulife before you start your trip for the amount you have claimed towards your lifetime maximum and the amount available for Emergency Travel coverage (information on contacting Manulife is available on your Manulife Member Card). Since costs for medical emergencies outside Canada can be expensive, we recommend you consider purchasing a private medical plan to supplement your WBP coverage.

Do I Have Trip Cancellation Insurance?


What is a Medical Emergency?

A medical emergency is a sudden, unexpected injury or an unforeseen illness which begins while you are travelling outside your province of residence and requires immediate medical attention. The emergency is considered over when you are medically able to return to your province of residence.

What Should I Do in a Medical Emergency?

Retired members with EHC coverage have a World Emergency Travel Assistance service provided by Allianz Global Assistance Program. If you are sick or injured while travelling outside your home province, call the number on the back of your Manulife Member Card (always carry your Manulife Member Card while travelling) and a representative will be able to provide you with assistance and coordinate a wide variety of services such as:

  • Helping you find a doctor, dentist or hospital
  • Monitoring your medical care
  • Coordinating claims for medical services between your provincial health plan, your EHC plan and any other group or individual plan
  • Making arrangements to transfer you to a medical facility in your province of residence

When an emergency does occur, contact Manulife’s Emergency Travel Assistance Program as soon as possible. Expenses in excess of $200 will be paid for directly by Manulife, provided you contact them before any expenses are incurred. Link to an FAQ If Manulife is not contacted, or if expenses are $200 or less, you are responsible for payment and may submit a claim for reimbursement using the Health Claim Form. If you are traveling outside Canada or the United States, print this wallet size reference card with a number of other emergency contact numbers for other countries and carry it with your Manulife Member Card.

Are there certain situations where I won’t be covered?

Your coverage is for a sudden, unexpected injury which occurs or a new medical condition which begins while travelling outside of your home province or a specific medical problem or chronic condition that was diagnosed but medically stable prior to departure. Medically stable means that in the 90 days prior to departure you have not been:

  • Been treated or tested for any new symptoms or conditions
  • Had an increase or worsening of any existing symptoms
  • Changed treatments or medications (other than normal adjustments for ongoing care)
  • Been admitted to the hospital for treatment of the condition

Coverage is not available if you have scheduled non–routine appointments,tests or treatment for the condition of an undiagnosed condition.

If you anticipate needing medical treatment for an existing medical condition while you are travelling, these expenses may not be covered, and therefore proceeding with travel arrangements will be at your own discretion.Link to an FAQ

In addition, no benefit is payable for any expense related to war or hostile action by any armed forces. Before you travel, have a look at some informative travellers' websites to ensure you are prepared for what to expect: You can visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (, Transport Canada (, and the Canadian Automobile Association (, for information on travel advisories, local currency/exchange rates, visa requirements, vaccinations, inoculations, health risks, etc. If in doubt as to whether you will be covered in the country you are visiting, check with Manulife before you start your trip (information on contacting Manulife is available on your Manulife Member card).

For more detailed information download the Emergency Travel Assistance Brochure.


Get Adobe Reader

PDF files listed here require Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download the free Reader, click on the icon to reach the Adobe Acrobat website.


Disclaimer | Privacy Policy